If you’re a headphone user, the chances are that you have experienced some sort of wire issue. The most common of these issues is when your wires come out from behind your device and get tangled around it. Luckily I’m here to help with this Guide on how to fix headphone wires with tape!
First, make sure that you have the right supplies. You will need to go to your local convenience store (where ever there is a DIY section), and buy some electrical tape. Also pick up some wire cutters.
Now let’s get started!
How To Fix Headphone Wires with Tape
Firstly, take out any wire that you would like to fix. It doesn’t matter if it isn’t tangled around anything yet because we will be fixing it in just a moment! Cut off about an inch of the insulation, just enough so you can stick the tape on the exposed area. Now stick familiarize yourself with how your particular type of tape sticks; for example, my tape has sticky side which is great for making repairs but terrible for taking apart. So I’m going to make a small cut in the tape and fold it back.
Now fix your wire to yourself or another object! One thing I like about my type of tape is that it’s also very good at sticking just to itself , so I can stick part of the sticky side, then press firmly to get rid of any air bubbles between the fixing and the wire.
Once you’re done with that, all you need to do is wrap around your new bond securely several times with electrical tape to make sure it stays in place! All done! Now let’s move onto how we can take apart tapes and re-use them for other purposes:
- Cut off an inch of insulation from either side of where you want to break off. If you’re going to reuse the tape on a different object you can cut off as much as needed, but it isn’t necessary.
- Depending on your type of tape , unravel a small part of the sticky side from one end, fold it back and stick it to itself firmly . Make sure there’s no air bubbles.
- Simply pull apart! Pulling straight upwards is usually best if you don’t want to rip any parts off of the leftover insulation.
- If there is some adhesive left on the wire that you need removed, simply use an alcohol wipe or rubbing alcohol and wipe down both sides of where you’d like to start unravelling your tape. This will make it so that the tape basically falls apart .
- Now use your wire cutter to cut off the adhesive. If you’re using this for a headphone cord, don’t worry about being too careful because there’s no insulation on it! You can simply stick it to itself again after doing so if needed.
- Once you have finished all of these steps , congratulations! You now know how to take tape apart and fix headphone wires with tape !
All you need is some time and patience, but don’t give up, because taping anything will be easier than taping nothing at all – that’s my motto. If you liked this guide or it helped you out in any way, please let me know either by commenting below , liking the post on Facebook or tweeting about it on Twitter. And if your wires are still broken, you can buy new ones on Amazon here .